We all know drinking water is important, especially as we head into dry and warm summer days. However, many people are unaware of the importance of drinking water on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. Thanks to an article by Lifehack, here are many benefits that have been discovered. The wisdom of drinking water first thing in the morning, is based on an old Japanese tradition.
But first here’s a reminder of what long term dehydration can lead to.
“Long-term dehydration can lead to rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, angina, colitis, dyspepsia, hypertension, obesity, hemorrhoids, breast cancer, pulmonary tuberculosis, kidney stones, sinusitis, and uterine cancers!”
It is obvious that water plays a crucial role in our everyday health but what are the benefits of drinking water right when we wake up?
- Eliminate Toxins from the Day Before, Stimulates your Bowels!
“At night, your body repairs itself and casts out all the toxins in the body. When you drink water on an empty stomach in the morning, you will flush out these harmful toxins, leaving your body fresh and healthy.”
- Reboots’ your Metabolism
“”Drinking water on an empty stomach can increase your metabolic rate by at least 24%. It is very important for those people who are on a strict diet. An increased metabolic rate means an improved digestive system”
- Aids in Weight loss
“You will feel less hungry and your cravings will be reduced. This will prevent weight gain caused by overeating”
- Reduce Heartburn and Indigestion
“Indigestion is caused by increased acidity in the stomach. You suffer from heartburn when the acid re-fluxes into your esophagus. When you drink water on an empty stomach, these acids are pushed down and get diluted, solving the problem.”
- Improves Overall Skin Complexion
“-It was found out in a study that drinking 500 ml of water on an empty stomach increases blood flow in the skin and makes skin glow.”
- Kick Start to a Good Hair Day
“Drinking plenty of water nourishes your hair from the inside out. Water makes up almost ¼ of the weight of a hair strand. An insufficient intake of water can cause brittle hair and thin hair strands.”
- Helps Avoid Bladder Infections and Kidney Stones
“It is a fact that drinking water on an empty stomach dilutes the acids which lead to stones in the kidney. The more water you drink (to a healthy limit), the more you will be protected from various kinds of bladder infections caused by toxins.”
- Power to Your Immune System
“Drinking water on an empty stomach helps in flushing and balancing the lymphatic system, which leads to increased levels of immunity.”
Ready to Drink Water on an empty stomach right when you wake up? Here are some pointers on how to get started:
- Start by placing a Mason jar with a lid or a water bottle, filled with purified water by your bed, try not to put anything in your water such as lemon, as lemon then has to be purified through your digestive system, instead of pure water being able to go directly to your tissues via kidneys. As soon as you wake up, grab and guzzle as much as you can. Ideally you want to work your way up to about a litre. However if that seems like an excessive amount, start with less. It is recommended that you drink a minimum of half a large glass or about one cup
“Drink approximately 160 ml of water four times immediately after waking up, before brushing and on an empty stomach.”
- Continue getting ready or find something to occupy you for the next 30 minutes.It is recommended that you wait for a period of time to allow your body to utilize hydration before going into a process of digestion with food.
“Drink water at least 30 mins before eating.”
I hope you found that helpful. Happy Hydrating.
Thanks again for the article LifeHack.org