I spend a good chunk of my day searching for articles and neat things and sometimes something catches my eye. Like these chocolate butter mint chews. I do enjoy good quality chocolate and have tried making some at home with some success. I like knowing the ingredients and even though making chocolates is a little bit labour intensive, knowing that I’ve made a tasty and healthy treat for my family is often worth it. This recipe from over on the Sweetest Lemonade looks delicious!
Chocolate Butter Mint Chews
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup coconut milk, canned
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, coconut milk and coconut sugar.
- Heat to medium heat and stir constantly as the solids melt.
- Once melted, add in the cocoa powder and tapioca flour, stirring all the while.
- Now add in your dark chocolate chips.
- Stir until they are completely melted into the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the peppermint extract.
- Either use a mold and carefully pour the sauce directly into the candy molds or pour the entire sauce into a greased 9×13 pan. If using the molds, I suggest using a syringe for getting the chocolate in without making a mess. I also set the molds on a cookie tray to keep them stable.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours until it’s hard enough to cut or pop out of the molds.
- Eat immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- These are great for a candy replacement or a gift idea!
Have you tried making chocolates at home? I find they make a great gift for someone special.