I love avocados, in salad, as guacamole, on burgers or sandwiches. Yum! I’ve never tried them in the sweet recipe version instead of savory. They can be so creamy, I think if there’s enough flavour balance they could be quite delicious! I found this post about dairy-free chocolate avocado buttercream over on the All Day I Dream About Food site, and it looks ah-mazing.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Avocado Buttercream
I have come to the conclusion that avocados are magic. Or maybe they are magicians, masters of disguise. They are a fruit but they aren’t sweet so they taste more like a vegetable. They are delicious in savoury dishes, particularly when paired with spices, lime, and garlic (mmmm, guacamole!). But they are also remarkably good in sweet recipes as well.
They can be forward and in your face, being all “hey look at me, I am a delicious avocado”! Or they can be completely hidden, just hanging out in the recipe, boosting the nutrition without drawing attention to themselves. And with all those healthy fats, they can play the role of butter or other oils without skipping a beat. Avocados are, in short, astonishing.
I wanted it to be really rich and creamy, and really chocolate-y. So I pureed my avocado with sweetener and cocoa powder but I also added some melted chocolate. Avocado puree can be very thick, so I added a few tablespoons of water to thin things out before adding the chocolate.
- 2 ounces sugar-free dark chocolate chopped
- 2 ripe Avocados
- 3/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tbsp water
- In a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the avocados, sweetener, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Process on high until combined. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all avocado chunks are blended and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle with the melted chocolate and process again until smooth.
- Pipe or spread onto your favourite low carb cake, cupcakes, or brownies. Or just eat with a spoon!
Well that just sounds delicious! Have you tried avocados in a sweet recipe?