Lemon and blueberry in baking is one of my favourite flavour combinations. Combine that with the moist and chewiness that comes from adding zucchini, and you’ve got a match made in soft baking heaven. This lemon blueberry zucchini bread recipe is also low carb and gluten free as it’s made with almond flour instead of wheat flour. While grating down a zucchini isn’t my fav task, eating baking with zucchini is.
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread
Lemon blueberry zucchini bread is a light, summery cake-like bread that uses seasonal flavors, comes together simply, and is perfect for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert. This low carb zucchini bread recipe is gluten-free, sugar free, and surprisingly simple to make.
You can’t taste the zucchini at all (I promise!). Instead, you end up with the most deliciously tender, moist, low carb, sweet bread. It’s more like a treat than you can imagine.
The zucchini keeps it light on both calories and carbs, so you can enjoy this low carb zucchini bread recipe without any guilt at all. And it tastes so decadent that you could almost call it lemon blueberry zucchini cake. Especially if you have children who like cake and want to sneak some extra veggies in to their diets.
While you can swap out the erythritol for a different sweetener of choice, you’ll want to make certain it’s granulated, and not liquid or a concentrated form, so that the recipe still turns out.
If you’re allergic to almonds, you could try sunflower seed meal. The color and flavor of the lemon blueberry zucchini bread would be different, but should still work. Don’t use coconut flour, which would make it too dry.
And to make this a paleo zucchini bread recipe, use ghee instead of butter. You can even swap in coconut oil to make your low carb zucchini bread both dairy-free and paleo. Either way, it would still be gluten-free, sugar-free, and keto.
- 1/2 cup Butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup Erythritol (or any granulated sweetener of choice)
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 cup Almond flour
- 2 tsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup Zucchini (grated – see note*)
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1/4 cup Erythritol (powdered in a food processor; or use any other powdered or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 4 tsp Lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (163 degrees C). Line a 9×5 in (23×13 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper. (You can use foil, but grease well.)
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and erythritol, until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest (if using), and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Wrap the grated zucchini in cheesecloth or several layers of sturdy paper towels. Squeeze over the sink to release as much moisture as possible. Stir the grated zucchini into the bowl, and mix well.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon, rounding the top slightly. Bake for 60-70 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.
- To make the glaze, run the sweetener through a blender to make it powdered. (Alternatively, you can use a powdered sweetener directly, like Swerve Confectioner’s or Sukrin Melis.) Whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sweetener. Drizzle the glaze over the bread.
*Grate the zucchini first and set over the sink to drain while preparing other ingredients.
Sounds so good! Have you put zucchini in baking? What’s your fav recipe?