According to research from St. George’s University in the United Kingdom, heart failure may be correlated with the amount of sleep one has throughout the day . The study, which followed 3723 men between the ages of sixty and ninety for nine years, found that sleeping in excess of an hour on average during the day put folks at risk for “CVD, breathlessness, depression, poor health, physical inactivity” and were found to work more laborious positions.
Heart failure itself is a major detriment within western countries, with over 1.6% of Americans suffering from it in some capacity . It’s defined as when the heart is no longer capable of meeting the oxygen requirements of the body, causing harm to organs (a symptom known as hypoxia).
Beyond merely having too much day-time rest, having too little at night can also allude to heart trouble. The same researchers found that there was already a major correlation with sleeplessness and cardiovascular disease. At the same time it’s important to note that the risk factors for these things compound relentlessly: being a smoker, suffering from hypertension, or having diabetes can exasperate these risks and bring them to the fore.
How do you prevent heart failure?
While it’s a large topic of discussion even today, there are some known ways to reduce the risk factors one has.
- Don’t smoke. If you do, develop a cessation strategy. Your heart (and the rest of your body) will thank you.
- Exercise. Even as little as a minute a day  can assist with lowering your chances of CVD.
- Eat healthy, clean vegetables. The American Heart Association recommends devouring large quantities of vegetables to safeguard against the potential for heart disease .
- Sleep at night! The whole gist of this article is that you should sleep in tune with your natural circadian rhythm. Going against it isn’t just detrimental to your physical health, but your mental health as well!
- Reduce the sodium in your diet. Replace your finely ground salts with larger crystalline formations like pink Himalayan sea salt. The increase in surface area will allow you to get the same taste without needing to go overboard on it.